Useful For Everyone
How does IP telephony work?
To understand how telephony works using Internet channels, let’s define the concepts. So, IP telephony is a general term for all methods of voice and video communication over the global network. It is part of VoIP, a component that only deals with network communications using the IP protocol. SIP telephony – definition of a narrower communication segment, i.e. if IP means the technology as a whole, then SIP is just one of the types of IP telephony communication protocols.
Equipment for modern internet communication
The main modules of IP telephony are:
- GSM gateways that Unisphere offers to buy on the website of the online store
- GateKeeper – control software;
- IP phones.
By the way, the sale of high-quality, reliable network and server equipment for IP telephony is one of the main activities of the Unisfera company, the catalog of which can be found on the website https://unisfera.com.ua .
IP telephony: basic types
Today there are several constructive solutions for organizing Internet telephony. Three of them can be attributed to the main categories that are often encountered in practice.
1. Standard. Includes a terminal and all necessary modules, provides standard telephone communication with a functional set of additional options.
2. Wireless. A specialized mobile terminal, which can serve as a tablet, laptop, telephone with pre-installed software, connected to the Internet.
3. Virtual. One of the innovative technologies, convenient and practical, that allows you to organize online telephony without PBX and servers. An Internet-connected home or office PC is being used.
A well-organized network can significantly reduce the cost of communication for remote subscribers.
How IP communication systems work
The general algorithm of operation of telephone communication systems via the Internet is as follows:
- the gateway receives an analog telephone signal;
- a special codec program digitizes it and compresses it;
- divides into packages;
- sends over the network.
Using the routing table, a search and connection with the desired IP address is performed, after which the reverse process of decoding the incoming digital signal into an analog one takes place.
IP gateways are connected to telephones or PBX channels, the users of which simultaneously become Internet subscribers, who communicate in real time, being at a decent distance from each other. The bottom line is that the cost of such a connection is to pay for the Internet.
In addition to the requirements for providing basic functionality, modules for IP telephony must support the transfer of control information, interface with telephone lines, echo cancellation (Echo Cancellation), and full duplex support.